St. Joseph’s Convent saw its humble beginning in the year 1900 to resolve the problem faced by the European Planters with regard to the education of their children. The school which was started by the missionary sisters of St. Joseph of Tarbes with 15 students on the roll, continued to grow steadily. Within a span of two decades the Institution made significant strides in every field. Today S.J.C. has a strength of 1500 students and enjoys a reputation for excellence. It is one of the premier schools for girls in the Nilgiris and is partially aided by the State Government.
The school caters to all categories of students irrespective of caste and creed. The school aims at making quality education available for all especially to the marginalized sections of the society, thus making every young girl intellectually enlightened, spiritually inspired, socially committed and emotionally balanced to serve the society. The school has produced many great women to serve the nation internally and externally as women parliamentarians, foreign secretaries and ambassadors, administrators and entrepreneurs, doctors and other professionals. The school focuses on all round development of the students and they are the best of the best wherever they go and in whatever they do. The grandeur of this Institution lies in its simplicity and dedicated service. It aims at making good human beings and worthy citizen for the country.